One, Two, Three, Four, FIVE?

That's right in my never-ending quest for the perfect-every-time buttonhole I have now purchased FIVE vintage buttonholers. Rather than go through the very lengthy explanation I shall refer you to my handy-dandy butthonhole flowchart. Of course, it doesn't really end there. The Necchi student model, and the Singer Fashion-Mate were donated/sold. After that I decided I had to give the whole idea a rest...a long rest. Then, about 1-1/2 years ago I was at an antique mall and saw one of those old b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l machines for a mere $35. I buckled, bought it, and brought it home. It's a black Necchi BU Nova in it's own table. Sigh. It's so pretty. It didn't work with any of my buttonholers but I didn't really care.

After surfing Craigslist, and ebay, and posts about buttonholers recently I finally found what I think is a perfect match. On a recent unexpected snow days (only unexpected because my kids had to go to school but I didn't - yipee!) I took the plunge and ordered one more buttonholer that I'm confident will work. Ebay had not one but three Griest #7 (for a high shank, left aligned needle) buttonholers and one sailed home to me. I haven't tried it out yet. Hold your breath and wish me luck. I'll report back soon! Hopefully in the near future I'll be putting about four vintage buttonholers up for sale. Update: UGH!! It doesn't fit!!! After 20 minutes of scratching my head (when attached the buttonholer is still about 1/2" from touching the faceplate) I  realize that the buttonholer IN the box doesn't match the picture ON the box! I did not get a Griest #7 I got an older model #? that is not for a high shank machine. Give.me.a.break. The search continues...

Just for fun...
When I took these pictures all I could think of was that I had to share them with my online sewing friends because I know some of you love vintage as much as I do. These are from my daughter's family b-day party last year.




Comments

Maybe you should forget the buttonholer and buy a new machine that has a built in one. LOL Just trying to support a fellow sewer!

Found your blog a while ago. Love it!
Dana said…
Woohoo a comment! Thanks! I do actually have one with a built-in but I don't like it. It's not consistent and I need to watch every stitch to make sure it doesn't mess up.